Green Cards

Having a Green Card, officially known as a Permanent Resident Card, allows you to live and work permanently in the United States. The steps you must take to apply for a Green Card will vary depending on your individual situation. U.S. immigration laws provide a variety of ways for people to apply for a Green Card. The eligibility requirements may vary depending on the immigrant category you are applying under. There are two main Green Card classifications: Employer Sponsored and Family Sponsored.

Those wanting to become immigrants based on employment or a job offer may apply for permanent residence according to the following employment based preferences:

  • First Preference: Priority Workers
  • Second Preference: Members of the Professions Holding Advanced Degrees or Persons of Exceptional Ability
  • Third Preference: Skilled Workers, Professionals, and Other Workers
  • Fourth Preference: Certain Special Immigrants
  • Fifth Preference: Employment Creation

U.S. immigration law allows certain foreigners who are family members of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents to become lawful permanent residents based on specific family relationships:

  • Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens
  • Spouses and Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents
  • Spouses and Children of Permanent Residents
  • Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older) of Permanent Residents
  • Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens
  • Brothers and Sisters of Adult U.S. Citizens
  • I-601A, Provisional Unlawful Presence Waivers

Certain petitioners for immigrant visas that are immediate family members (spouses, children or parents of U.S. citizens) can request a waiver for unlawful presence before they leave the U.S. for their consular interview. Persons who have accumulated more than 180 days of illegal presence in the U.S. will need to obtain a waiver of the three or ten year bar. You will need to demonstrate that denial of your admission to the U.S. will cause extreme hardship to your spouse or parent who is either a U.S. citizen or a legal permanent resident.

In order to legally enter the U.S. and begin the green card application process, you will need a visa. Learn more about working with the Rivera Julka Law Group of Bay Shore New York to obtain a visa on our Visa Applications page.

Use the contact form below to request your consultation with the Rivera Julka Law Group of Bay Shore New York’s green card attorneys.